On Wed, 2016-08-03 at 10:02 +1200, tonybsa wrote:
In defence of LibreOffice Base.
Unlike Ian I have had very good results with Base.

Over the last 8 years I have used Base as a a "front end" to a MySQL
database in 5 different countries for different projects.

One database was for the New Ireland (PNG) Provincial Government Old
Age & Disabled Pension fund. 170,000 records updated and maintained
by two dedicated data entry people, but accessed by approximately 35
other users. LibreOffice Base on Windows 10, 8 and XP PC, on Ubuntu
12.04 PC, on Macintosh OS X laptop. All connecting via ethernet and
wireless to a Ubuntu 12.04 Server.

Another similar situation with Ministry of Tourism, Tonga collecting
data on visitors to Tonga and also used for tourism venture's
licensing and administration and conventions. 25 users connecting
LibreOffice Base to MySQL on FreeBSD server, with Windows and Ubuntu
PCs.

Full administration for 5 divisions in Sanma Provincial Council,
Santo, Vanuatu. Including HR, Accounts, Youth, Disabilities,
Planning, etc. 75 staff members, plus external users, with
LibreOffice Base connecting to MySQL on Ubuntu 14.04 server from
Windows (10, 8.1, XP), Ubuntu 12.04 and Macintosh PCs.

Now I used Access (Base not available) at Kokopo Business College for
student records. Created a database for College Library with Base on
Ubuntu PCs connecting to central MySQL database via Fibre Optics.

Had real trouble trying to set this up with Access for multiple users
(25 teachers, 10 admin staff).
When I got LibreOffice Base I had similar problems with using the
HSQLDB engine.

I found that connecting Base to MySQL was very easy and I had real
problems trying to connect Access.
I could also use Base on Linux machines and update all my colleagues
to a consistent operating system.

You can not export Access forms, reports, macros, etc to use with
Base but you can export all the data from Access and import it into
Base very easily.

Sorry to keep on!!! I have had good results with LibreOffice Base
connecting to an external database. I also make extensive use of
Macros with Base.

Just in case you are wondering -- I am retired and about to have my
75th birthday so not just straight out of Uni.!!!

Thanks for listening

Tony Bray
tonybsa@mac.com
MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2009
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM,
Mac OS X  10.11.6
LibreOffice 5.0.6
Scribus 1.4.4
Libre Project 1.5.19
Parallels Desktop 11.02
Ubuntu 14.04
LibreOffice 4.4.4
MySQL, PHP, Apache

Just to be clear, I also support these eulogies to LOBase, and look
forward to a time when the Base's user comfort improves. I, too am
running Base (on OpenSuse Linux 42.1) with a Mariadb backend but only
with a very small (one table!) database. Years ago MSAccess spoiled me
for features and user comfort, AS LONG I WAS THE ONLY USER!. But the
databases I created with it were quite large and complex (one of them
had 100000 records in one table and 40 tables, for a demanding
engineering project). At that time I also created a simple LOBase
application (on windows 2000) and MySQL (on OpenSuse Linux) for storing
and retrieving scanned papers. That db worked quite well, but speed was
not its best feature. Now, (in retirement, approaching 70!) I am still
on the lookout for applications that would benefit from good database
support whereby LOBase/mariadb would always (still) be my configuration
of choice.

Cheers
Harvey