*Hi all*

*Re: The LO Base discussion* - just my "Penny's Worth"!!!

After a 5+ years effort to use LO Base I have given up completely!! It is *NOT* usable at all in it's "out of the box" set-up, ie with the HSQL engine. It is totally unstable, crashes frequently AND - *MORE IMPORTANT* - trashes all you data when it goes down!!! This seems to be something to do with the compressing that the program does as you exit the program.

The only way I got any (sort of results) was by using MySQL as the backend but it took a couple of months to get it working and after a few months even that crashed on me. I recently had to re-build my computer after a hardware failure and my OpSys upgraded to 64bit and since then I can not even get the MySQL linking in LO Base to even start!!

So if you are happy to keep lots and lots of backups, and spend lots and lots of time re-building everything at almost monthly intervals - and by re-building I mean the Database Tables, redesign all your Forms and set-up all your Queries and Reports from scratch - then go with it, otherwise give it a miss.

I have searched for a suitable replacement. I run Linux here, and have looked at many programs. In desperation I was keeping things going using LO Calc and this is not easy. The rest of LO is fine and I use it a lot but base is the (VERY) weak link in the chain. This not only my opinion - if you dig around you will find many reports of this.

Early this month I gave *Kexi* a second try and I'm finding it very workable. It is still a bit "young" but does everything I want for my Database and I'm very comfortable with it. It is "All-in-one" using SQLite as the engine and the only major problem I have come across is the program crashing during Form design but frequent (say every 5min saves) seems to get round this. Doing actual work with the finished set-up has so far proved Rock Solid. It's worth a look at and stay with it long enough to learn its rather different layout and way of doing thins!!

Have fun - I am and very happy to be away from LO Base.

All the best

IanW
Pretoria RSA