dBase files are plain text, but they have a specific format, which varies with version (feature add-ins). I did some research on the file format when I was trying to decide how I wanted to approach resurrecting my files. Another option is to use the old dBase 1.x under dosemu under Linux. Actually, that may be the easiest way to do it, but maybe not the long-lasting correct way.

Girvin