On 08/02/2016 03:02 PM, tonybsa wrote:
In defence of LibreOffice Base.
Unlike Ian I have had very good results with Base.

Over the last 8 years I have used Base as a a "front end" to a MySQL database in 5 different
countries for different projects.

One database was for the New Ireland (PNG) Provincial Government Old Age & Disabled Pension fund.
170,000 records updated and maintained by two dedicated data entry people, but accessed by
approximately 35 other users. LibreOffice Base on Windows 10, 8 and XP PC, on Ubuntu 12.04 PC, on
Macintosh OS X laptop. All connecting via ethernet and wireless to a Ubuntu 12.04 Server.

Another similar situation with Ministry of Tourism, Tonga collecting data on visitors to Tonga and
also used for tourism venture's licensing and administration and conventions. 25 users connecting
LibreOffice Base to MySQL on FreeBSD server, with Windows and Ubuntu PCs.

Full administration for 5 divisions in Sanma Provincial Council, Santo, Vanuatu. Including HR,
Accounts, Youth, Disabilities, Planning, etc. 75 staff members, plus external users, with
LibreOffice Base connecting to MySQL on Ubuntu 14.04 server from Windows (10, 8.1, XP), Ubuntu
12.04 and Macintosh PCs.

Now I used Access (Base not available) at Kokopo Business College for student records. Created a
database for College Library with Base on Ubuntu PCs connecting to central MySQL database via Fibre
Optics.

Had real trouble trying to set this up with Access for multiple users (25 teachers, 10 admin staff).
When I got LibreOffice Base I had similar problems with using the HSQLDB engine.

I found that connecting Base to MySQL was very easy and I had real problems trying to connect
Access.
I could also use Base on Linux machines and update all my colleagues to a consistent operating
system.

You can not export Access forms, reports, macros, etc to use with Base but you can export all the
data from Access and import it into Base very easily.

Sorry to keep on!!! I have had good results with LibreOffice Base connecting to an external
database. I also make extensive use of Macros with Base.

Just in case you are wondering -- I am retired and about to have my 75th birthday so not just
straight out of Uni.!!!

Thanks for listening

Tony Bray
tonybsa@mac.com
MacBook Pro 15 inch Mid 2009
2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM,
Mac OS X  10.11.6
LibreOffice 5.0.6
Scribus 1.4.4
Libre Project 1.5.19
Parallels Desktop 11.02
Ubuntu 14.04
LibreOffice 4.4.4
MySQL, PHP, Apache

I will second that defense of Base. Tony's experience is much broader than mine, so counts for more points. I only maintain two inventory databases with several tables each on a single Slackware 14.1 Linux machine. Many of these inventory tables have more than 1000 records and growing. I am connecting LO Base to a mariadb local server with the mysql-connector-java connector and, unlike Ian, in the over one decade of use I have never had a data loss or a crash of any sort that took my data or the Base forms or reports. It is very stable, which is good, because I rely on these databases very much. I consider them critical. The Report Builder is another story, but it has never corrupted my data, and it is improving with time. Long live Base's connection options.

BTW, Tony. I am also retired and only 2 years younger than you, with a birthday coming up soon.
Girvin Herr