On 7/31/16 4:16 PM, Girvin Herr wrote:
On 07/31/2016 12:49 PM, Ken Springer wrote:
On 7/30/16 3:30 PM, jorge wrote:
Hi:

On GNU / Linux / Ubuntu, and of course in other distributions, there are
to program that you would probe because could help you to export Access
DB to open document:

1) MDBtools (View and export MSAccess db)

2) Kexi of Caligra Suite that say it is able to read MS Access db

Thanks, jorge.  I'll have to check with my "conspirator" on how much
effort in learning he's willing to do to create a Linux database.

Ken

Ken,
One thing about Kexi.  I looked at it a few weeks ago and discovered
that Kexi has a capability of reading Access database files to some
degree.  However, it reads and converts the access database into its own
internal database.  Kexi has no capability to interface to and use an
external database server (aka "Back End") such as Mariadb or MySQL, as
LO Base does.

I am using LO Base as a database client (aka "Front End") on Linux and
connected to my Mariadb database server using a Java "connector"
driver.  I do this because the LO internal HSQDB has limitations that
MySQL and Mariadb do not have.  You may consider this if your
database(s) are large or complex.

Thanks for the above info, Girvin.  I appreciate it.

I understand the concept of Front End/Back End, but never have dealt with it. Nor have I ever used MySQL, Mariadb, or others. Access and a bit of dBase is all I've ever used, and in general, even then that's more power than I've ever needed.

Another gentleman and I trying to get a social agency we both volunteer for out of the dark ages of computers. Due to ignorance of computers, and a good bunch of resistance to change, it will be a daunting task.

Years ago, I had my data in an access (1.1) database and needed to port
my data to MySQL.  I managed it by using the option in access to output
the database as a comma-separated file, much like a spreadsheet ".csv"
file.  I then was able to set up MySQL to import this file into its
database format.  Of course, as some others have noted, the forms and
reports needed to be recreated.  At this time, OpenOffice (before LO was
available) did not have a database client which would work with MySQL,
so I chose an open source client called Rekall and had to recreate my
data entry forms and reports.  It was labor intensive, but needed to be
done.  Then Rekall went bust and I had to find another client.  By then,
OpenOffice had Base, which would talk to my MySQL database engine.  I
did not need to do anything with my MySQL database, but I did have to
recreate all of my data entry forms and reports yet again - more labor.
So, the bottom line is that any time you change database clients, expect
to recreate the data entry forms and reports.  There is no standard for
them.  One big advantage to using an external database such as MySQL or
Mariadb, is that they use standard SQL, while the LO Base HSQDB database
server uses a non-standard version of SQL.  So, using HSQDB could lock
you in to it.

My databases are critical to me.  All of my database software decisions
were based on being able to easily port my data to another client or
server and not need to recreate it.  Depending on the size of your
database, that could take much more time than recreating just the forms
and reports.

Hope this helps with your decision.  Good luck.
Girvin Herr

--
Ken
Mac OS X 10.8.5