Hi Amit,

I'm combining a couple of mails here:

If we have to beat Microsoft then we need to focus only on what
Microsoft provides and not on .odt format, etc.
This is most definitely *not* what LO should be doing. .odt is a good,
open standard that we need to keep using, so that different software
can collaborate. Microsoft's file formats are not open, and do not
follow standards, they even change the format themselves every so
often. Trying to keep up with that (which LO does) means little
bugs and constant changes (and thus necessitates releasing often), and
worst of all if we abandon .odt in favour of that, we will lose the
standard, open format that is one of the best features of LO. Sure, at
the moment most people only worry about does it work with MS Office,
but having an open standard means not only am I sure I will be able to
read my documents in 20 years, but other software that is written to
the same standard can inter-operate on my documents, and I can do batch
operations on the documents with other tools, because they are simply
compressed xml files. Open standards are a *good thing*, and one of the
main reasons to choose LO over MS Office.

being totally compatible and stable with the formats that Micorosoft
supports
This is almost impossible, given that the formats are closed, and don't
stay standard.

For me, this is the most important free software, even more important
than linux because it saves me money.
Not everybody has the same motives as you, and therefore they have
different priorities.

The main problem here is that the user does not know wheher the next
release is more stable than previous one or not.
I guess you are right on this one. Maybe the LO website should be a bit
more explicit in detailing to new users the difference between the
extra stable older software, the newer software that is mostly stable
and has newer features, and the ultra-new beta versions that aren't
stable yet. Everybody here seems to know the difference and recommends
the right product to the right people, but we can't expect everybody
who goes to the site to download LO to know what the different versions
mean. Maybe this is something for the site maintainers to think about?

A customer can compromise on fetaures but not on stability
Actually, from what I've gathered from this list, it seems the problems
half the time are new features that users want, and half the time bugs.
Well, maybe not exactly a 50-50 split, but still. Yes, there are a few
complaints about things that work in MS Office that don't work in LO,
and users could end up going back to MS Office if they can't do what
they are used to in LO. But there are also things users want to do that
don't exist in MS Office. Those features would make a compelling reason
to switch, if LO could do stuff that MS Office couldn't that people
found usefull. I think there is enough demand from users for new
features that devs are caught in a catch-22. If they develop new
features and forget about the bugs, people complain the software is not
stable, if they only fix bugs, people demand new features and complain
the product is stagnating. There are only so many devs, so they do the
best they can. And in order to get new features *and* new bug fixes
out, they need to release often. I say kudos to them, I think they're
doing a great job.

So no, I don't think users *can* compromise on features. Some can, but
others can't. The devs need to balance the two.

Regards

Paul

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 16:16:58 +0530