Hi :)
The Docs Team use Writer for all their guides.  They do also have brief notes / summaries outside
of whichever guide they are writing and do use their mailing list to help get consensus about
side-issues.  Getting involved there might help you learn tricks or at least see the process.
Regards from
Tom :)