Ferand wrote,

 Virgil,

please stop this crap, LO and OO are the right tools to produce any document any form any size, only the lack of knowledge is a barrier . All professional tools to produce a book are XML based like LO and OO, so start writing, use a simple style model , understood the OutputLevels, understood picture resolutions and go. Afterwards choose a tool make a tranformation to deliver the work to a printer (PDF) or to a HTML 5/ Epub reader
Greetz

I noticed you didn't copy the list (a reply vs. reply all problem), but I'll include the list on my reply as I think it might be helpful. I'll grant that my suggesting other products on an LO users list may not be the best form, but I do think it proper to point out LO's limitations.

I fully agree that LO can produce any document any size. I fully agree that lack of knowledge can be a barrier (to *any* product, be it LO or LaTeX). But, I think your last line helps prove my point. You suggest writing in LO, and then picking *another* tool to transform the final product into PDF or Epub reader format. In so suggesting, you imply that LO is *not* the right tool to perform those tasks.

I was trying to suggest tools that could perform the entire project, from writing to publishing. The PDF output from LyX/LaTeX cannot be touched by *anything* that I know of (at least in the FOSS world). For example, LaTeX automatically, and by default, produces ligatures, those "fi" and "fl" combinations that are often found lacking today in "professionally" published books produced by word processors like LO or Word. The Microtype package is an absolute must for any proper output with justified margins, as it justifies an entire paragraph, not just lines, making small adjustments, not only between words, but *within* letters as well. LO's line by line justification looks hideous in comparison (yes, I'm a little OCD about these things). And, unless you use Linux Libertine as your typeface, you won't be able to get such professional effects as old style numbering or true small caps.

There was a day when proper justification, ligatures, and professional type effects were the expected norm in professionally designed books. But, today, so many publishing houses are simply accepting the output of word processors that it's becoming rare to find a properly designed book. The lack of professional output in computer generated books was the reason for the creation of TeX in the first place, some 35 years ago.

As far as the ebook format is concerned, nothing I've seen (again in cost-effective tools) can match the output of Atlantis.

Virgil