On 02/11/2013 05:59 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Tim,

Le 2013-02-11 14:04, webmaster-Kracked_P_P a écrit :
So far, needing the terminal to install packages [not all] is a problem
for some users who want to switch from Windows.  Also, sometimes the
double-clicked package installs do not even make a menu or desktop
launcher icon, so you have to go into the "bin" or other folder and
create your own launcher icon.  I had to do that for the Canon Scanning
package.  It was "/usr/bin/scangearmp" and how many new users to Linux
would know how to create a launcher or where the command was stored?

Not sure about the other deb software, but we do supply this in our packages, it's in the main packagage->desktop integration ->libreoffice4.0-freedesktop-menus-4.0.0-103.noarch. I am not sure if the Ubuntu's Unity adheres to the standard, but Gnome and KDE do.

As for getting it on your desktop, grab it and drop on your desktop, you normally get prompted if you want a copy, link.

Cheers,

Marc

The one that is in Ubuntu is named - libreoffice4.0-debian-menus_4.0.0-103_all.deb

This is the menu guide "I think" for Debian desktop-integration.

?package(libreoffice-writer):needs="X11" section="Apps/Editors"\
  title="LibreOffice 4.0 Writer" command="libreoffice4.0 -writer"\
  hints="Word Processors"\
  kderemove="y"\
icon="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/libreoffice4.0-writer.png"\
icon16x16="/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/libreoffice4.0-writer.png"

This is for the RPM version you have. There are 3 different ones in the RPM desktop-integration package.

?package(libreoffice4.0-writer): needs=x11 section="Office/Wordprocessors" icon="libreoffice4.0-writer.png" title="LibreOffice 4.0 Writer" longtitle="LibreOffice 4.0 Word Processing Component" command="libreoffice4.0 -writer" mimetypes="application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text,application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-template,application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-web,application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master,application/vnd.sun.xml.writer,application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.template,application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global,application/vnd.stardivision.writer,application/msword,application/vnd.ms-word,application/x-doc,application/rtf" kde_opt="InitialPreference=100" startup_notify="true"

The problem is not getting it on my desktop or panel, but to get a listing in the Applications menu when the package does not list the package in say "Applications/Office" where it should be listed, but not. I know how to make a launcher icon on the desktop for my Canon Scanner package, but not how to get it in the /Office menu or the /Graphics menu where it should belong. The Canon scanning system will not work with XSane, like my Epson scanner does [since I went to Ubuntu 12.04/12.10].