On 2013-02-10 10:27 PM, webmaster-Kracked_P_P wrote:
I do not like all that typing.

What I do is use the default file manager and double click the archived
file and unarchive it.  Then I take the folder that is created and
rename it to Lib or LibO.  That way you do not need to type all of the
characters of the folder's name.

Never heard of 'tab-completion'?

Try hitting the tab key after typing one or two characters of the folder name and see what happens...

Never heard of this.  Never know of the Tab completion in the Terminal.

Does it work with the Terminal that is in GNOME, MATE, Unity, KDE? How about the one that comes with openSUSE and other non-Ubuntu systems. I have been told that Debian and Ubuntu is "growing apart" so some distros are showing both Ubuntu-based and Debian-based versions.

What happens when you have two folders that are similar characters, except some difference?
     LibreOffice-4.0-installsvs. LibreOffice-3.6-installs?
You would have to make sure you go out till the difference?

I tend to unarchive all of the downloaded file for my version at the same time. For me, that is just the main install and the help pack.

   /To be honest, I never really got into doing all that much with the
   terminal.  I prefer to use a GUI to do the work. There are a very
   large amount of things that the terminal can do that I do not know
of, or how to do those things that might help me once and a while. I just never bought or download and GOODand easy to understand
   reference to what you can do in the terminal.  Of course, there are
   different ways to do things in a Ubuntu/Debian system than you would
   do the same thing in a openSUSE or RPM system.  Different commands
   and such. //
   //
   //I have tried things that others say work for the, but does not
   work in my install of Ubuntu. That is one reason I have a laptop
   that has a partition that I use to test new versions of Ubuntu and
   desktop environments.  I do not want to upgrade my 5 TB "production"
   desktop and then find that something is not right.  I did the
   upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 on the laptop and it worked fine, but
   totally crashed on my desktop causing me to need to wipe the system
   and do a fresh install.  I really did not want to have to reinstall
   all of the packages over again, but in the end I had no choice to do
   so and move my data files from my external backup drive.  That took
   days to complete./

SO
I do not experiment with things on the Terminal, or almost never.

I would love to "experiment" and see about creating a script that would automate the install of LO from an earlier versionusing something like "sh libre-update.run" and then have it do the removal of the older version and install the newer one. I could place it in the folderthat contains the "DEBS" folder so it will be version independent. But, if I do something wrong, how bad will it go wrong? So right now I am not going toexperiment that way.