Le 2013-02-11 17:01, Dan Lewis a écrit :

All well and good, but the simple way that you suggest will present
problems for the newcomer on Debian OS's. The desktop-integration file
will not install if the LO that came with the OS install CD remains: it
must be removed. Without doing this, you can not right click on a file
and select a LO version to open the file.

We used to use Synaptic to remove an installed program or install a
program from the Ubuntu repositories. A few years ago Ubuntu no longer
included this package manager when it went to using the Unity desktop.
(Synaptic was a part of the gnome desktop package.) In its place, Ubuntu
introduced the Ubuntu Software Center. It appears that programs can also
be removed using it, but only if they came from the Ubuntu repositories.
Right now I have LO 3.6.5.2 and 4.0.0.3 installed from the website.
Neither of these are listed in Ubuntu Software Center, so it can not be
used to remove them.

I just checked out your first paragraph. What you wrote does not work
for installing LO in Ubuntu. (It probably will not work for any of the
Debian OS's, but I only have Ubuntu and can not check the others.) The
only thing that works is to think about the specific steps that must be
followed and determine how to do them either on the command line or
using a script. You may want to call these convoluted, but at least they
work.

--Dan

Thanks for the information Dan. I will install Ubuntu on a spare box and test these out. I for one am for simplifying the notes on the .rpm section and adding a more simplified intallation routine of the 4 steps which do work for users who install the most used default managers as Gnome or KDE managers.

We should also try to find a visual installation routine for our Ubuntu users. The vast majority of users are just interested in using the software. Is some wish to install the latest and the bleeding edge versions, we need to make it an easy install.

We are looking for more contributors in all of our teams and especially QA. IMO, we should try to get our betas/rc's into the hands of users interested in QA who actually use LibreOffice in a productive way. The installation barrier should not become such a burden that such users would cringe at the very thought of installing these pre-release versions. When doing QA, users are often installing newer version of LibreOffice in a very short order of time.

Cheers,

Marc

--
Marc Paré