Wow, I can't imagine that it is that difficult to install LibreOffice on .deb or, for that matter, on any other package (.rpm) on Linux.

I am like Tim with his suggestions below. I am on Mageia Linux rpm. Except I just don't like typing anything for installs in anything, especially in console, except for passwords.

So, here is how I do my LibreOffice installs (in 4 steps), and, I am pretty sure this is possible on a .deb install and on the majority of Linux distros. Here is my KDE routine (I am pretty sure that the Gnome routine would be the same and on most Linux window managers):

=====================

* uninstall the older version of LibreOffice (all of it) by using your package manager. The only thing you have to type is the root password. And yes, everything related to the 3.x.x.x or 4.x.x.x version that you are replacing -- *the only thing to type is the root password*

=====================

* Download the LibreOffice.org download file(s) into a file folder. So, for example, I created a file folder called v.3.0.0.3 and downloaded the .tar.gz file there. No need to rename anything -- *there is nothing to type*

=====================

* unpack the .tar.gz by right clicking on the file(s). If there are 2 .tar.gz files or more, you can even select all of them, the, right-click and choose "extract archive here" -- *there is nothing to type*

* once unpacked, there will be a folder. Browse into the folder, pick all of the .rpm files, then, right-click and choose "Open with"->"Software Installer"". The package manager installer window opens and asks you for the root password -- *the only thing to type is the root password*

* \o/ done  <-- OK, I added this step just for fun

Linux has come a long way in user friendliness. There is no need to go through all of these hoops to install a piece of software. If I were a Windows user, this kind of thread would scare me away from using Linux as it makes it sound so difficult to install. It is not that complicated and there is really no need to make it this complicated -- if it were this complicated to install LibreOffice, even I would consider moving to another OS.

Phew, OK, I feel better now that I got this off my chest. Now where did I put those blood pressure pills ... [*smile*]

Cheers,

Marc