I don't understand the maddening aspect of this reaction.  I suppose I don't have to.

When ODF was developed at OASIS, one of the design points was to be based on the functionality of
OpenOffice 1.x as it was at the time, starting from an XML format that was developed for that
product.  It was explicitly ruled out of scope for the format to have counterparts of Microsoft
Office document features.

When OOXML was developed, using the Open Packaging Conventions that were already used by Microsoft
for a different project, a critical goal was to have fidelity-preserving, convertible features of
legacy Microsoft Office documents.  There is also a strict version that doesn't include so much of
the legacy accommodation and has some better feature provisions going forward.

There you have it.  ODF 1.0 then ODF 1.1 and now ODF 1.2.  Also, OOXML versions 1 through 3 (so
far), although ODF changed more from ODF 1.1 to ODF 1.2 (because of the addition of OpenFormula)
than anything that happened to OOXML since the ISO OOXML version.

Neither of these are DocBook (an XML document format) or DITA or any other XML-carried document
format.  None of that is surprising in any technical way: XML is not a document format, it is a
markup format for extending and customizing into any number of document models and schemas.  XML by
itself (unlike HTML, yet-another document format) doesn't establish any kind of document format
whatsoever.

There was an ISO working group looking into the harmonization of document formats, especially with
what could make better portability among OOXML-based and ODF-based software.  A recent report on
the subject is rather interesting.  Look at
<http://www.interoperability-center.com/en/dokumenten-iop-lab>.  The final report on Document
Profiling and a White Paper on Document Interoperability are listed in the "Publications" sidebar.

 - Dennis