2012/11/21 Jay Lozier <jslozier@gmail.com>

On 11/21/2012 09:04 AM, Pertti Rönnberg wrote:

On 21.11.2012 12:11, Mirosław Zalewski wrote:

On 21/11/2012 at 03:13, rost52 <bugquestcontri@online.de> wrote:

 Both aspects together is a chance for LibO and AOO. I am looking
forward to
the announcement that both teams tie up, slow down the development of
new
features and substantially reduce the bugs.

This is very unlikely.

As I read LO new features announcements, I see that most of these are
made
with MSO compatibility in mind. Saying "LO devs should stop developing
new
features" sounds like "LO devs should stop caring about MSO
compatibility",
which is contrary to many users expectations.

Dear Miroslaw & other LibO folks,
I do absolutely not agree: I cannot see that anyone on this list should
have said that "LO devs should stop developing new features"!
But at least me - repeatedly since January - and some others too have
claimed that the LO devs should "stop stop developing new features until
there is a certain LibO-version that is completely free of bugs and
misfunctions" (and from that version on continue developing what ever).

With such a version free of bugs and any kind of problems the people in
Freiburg should never have even discussed the possibility to skip OO/LibO.
No one - not in Freiburg or in other places, in companies or in private -
can afford to waste time and energy playing with a program that does not
work, no matter if caused by bugs or no-working functions or bad
instructions.
Better then to get the works done by paying some money to MS - in the
long run it is cheaper.
I think that is obvious.
regards
Pertti Rönnberg

 From what I understand of the Freiburg problem is that it is a
combination of many different versions of OO and MSO being used side by
side and a poorly planned migration. Migrating from one package to another
can be messy particularly if it is not properly planned. Often there are
subtle differences that must be accounted and planned for. Plus sometimes
people will completely skip any user orientation/training believing it
unnecessary when even a few minutes of orientation may solve many problems.
This is true of LO/MSO but of other migrations say MS SQL Server to MySQL.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com

Does anybody know if the Freiburg Municipal Council or any of the political
parties represented there have responded to the Document Foundation's open
letter ? If so, I'd love to see a link (links)...

Henri