On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Tom Davies wrote:

The question is not about wrong or right imo, it's about whether we want new people to start using LO and to feel welcome or do we want to discourage all newcomers?

don't assume most new-comers are not familiar with mailing lists. some aren't but many already have ideas of etiquette.

anyway, I find some of the top-posts here too laborious to read. they open with a comment that makes no sense so I have to scroll down through a string of messages to find what they are responding to.

even then I might not know since people often don't snip out bits that are irrelevant to their reply so it's hard to tell what the reply related to.

I just end up deleting a lot of top-posters' messages.

anyway, this is a separate discussion, a good example of 'thread drift'. I have altered the subject-line correspondingly.

I think people should mostly bottom-post and do inline comments though if the original post and the reply are very short, no harm in top-posting (especially the 'heads up' one-liners).

no way to enforce preferences one way or the other but the exchange of views can be instructive or entertaining except for the dogmatists'.

F.

--
Felmon Davis

One of the greatest pains to human nature is the pain of a new idea.  -- Bagehot