On 04/17/2012 06:56 PM, e-letter wrote:
On 17/04/2012, webmaster-Kracked_P_P<webmaster@krackedpress.com>  wrote:
Well, it is always good to promote ODF, but if you work in a business
environment, you cannot get away from MSO's file formats.  I create the
documents in LO and save my copy in ODF, but I still have to send
editable files to some people who's business or agency has not or cannot
switch to LO.  So for these people/businesses/agencies, I need to send
them MSO file formatted documents.

You could send in odf, which m$ is supposed to support. Growth in the
quantity of odf documents, together with people complaining to m$
(instead of complaining to LO!), the long term effect is to force m$
to improve compatibility with odf, _not_ vice versa! The analogy is
one of the worse technologies: flash. Thankfully, successful marketing
of apple products increased the quantity of non-flash devices and
therefore the demand for other technologies, e.g. html5.

Promote LO and ODF, but you still have to deal with those who have not
switched over to LO and/or ODF.  Most government agencies [USA] at all
levels are not "allowed" to use any other office package but MSO AND are
forbidden to install software on their computers, including
screen-savers and such.  I know of one that will not allow the use of
USB devices as well.  So, until everyone switches to ODF, we must
continue to save some of our documents to MSO formates and send them off
to others.

I wonder if someone in the USA could sue and win because the MSO format is a proprietary format thus requiring users to buy a proprietary product for best results. If an agency used only odf formats that are readable by any number of free and proprietary products then users are not forced to purchase specific product for best results.
Such organisations were often forced to use m$ie6, whilst the world
moved forward to using safari, opera, firefox, etc.. The world did not
wait for m$ to improve their web browser! Therefore, the claim that
everyone must simultaneously change to odf is a fallacy.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com