Michelle

On 12/17/2011 04:11 AM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
Hello David S. Crampton,

very well spoken!

Upon reflection, this calls for LO to build a community of support
people that can support small to medium sized businesses and avoid
the siren call of M$ style big money and big ego.  Good luck!  No,
seriously, good luck to us all.
Thats right.  Clouds like Google, Amazon or Apple are NO SOLUTIONS!

Clud computing should be on a "per customer" base done.
This is what I do with my (arround 200) customers

Based on my new ARM-Based Blade Servers, the system is VERY scalable and
inexpensive.  It is even cheaper as todays Root Servers at random ISP.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
     Michelle Konzack

It sounds that you are using "cloud" concepts to set up smaller networks for small clients. In the US, the "cloud" is often understood to mean using PC's as dumb terminals to access the server (mainframe) for both data and applications. There are numerous problems with this model such as who actually owns the data, legal implications due to the physical location of the servers, connection speed requirements to be effective.

Another issue with the cloud that has been overlooked often is that a pure cloud implementation leaves users vulnerable to the whims of the centralized computing resources. If the resources are not available will users be able to add needed functionality or are they at the mercy of the centralized resource. For example, I need to convert video file formats occasionally, on my PC I can install the needed application easily but if I using a cloud type environment I am limited to what is provided either deliberately or by contract.

I remember the days of dumb terminals and mainframes and remember that many problems that were solved by PC's.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com