I will speak up a little for the positive case for cloud-based computing and apps. In the IT Manager position I recently left the motivator for looking at web apps was PEOPLE; specifically problems with our in-house people.

Making a long story short, I had built an entirely in-house M$ shop supported by people I hired plus occasional consulting especially for network / Cisco support. We had about 12 servers, 160 desktops, a very elaborate WAN, M$ Suite plus an in-house M$ WSUS for their flood of updates. The team was 3 people: myself, a sys admin and a desktop tech.

The workload was heavy and I relied on the motivation of the two hired staff to be learning M$ stuff toward becoming full M$ experts. The overall economics of in-house machines and fully burdened in-house staff made sense for a while.

The people problems started as competition between my two staff people. Productivity and teamwork began to stink; deadlines were flaunted; Helpdesk calls took longer. For a million different reasons (excuses) neither I nor the organization found a way to deal with the people problems. We had built in an addiction to in-house expertise and when our own people went sour nobody, myself included, had the cojones to correct it.

So we started to look at web apps. The economics were looking good. Buy more bandwidth, pay the monthly costs and get rid of at least 1 bad actor, maybe both! I left their employment mostly for personal reasons, a death in the family. But even so, "mostly" is the key word.

Six months later the organization has increased the bandwidth and (temporarily?) solved lots of WAN performance issues. The people problems and how to support the burden of M$ apps and their security issues remains unsolved. Status quo.

In summary, I agree with all the technical reasons and security concerns expressed about web / cloud apps. It was people-problems that blew down the house.

Upon reflection, this calls for LO to build a community of support people that can support small to medium sized businesses and avoid the siren call of M$ style big money and big ego. Good luck! No, seriously, good luck to us all.

--
David S. Crampton