On 11/18/2011 09:54 AM, Pedro wrote:

Martin Jungowski wrote:

The latest and greatest is never our first
choice, and features are a distant fourth to stability, reliability, and
dependability. Right now I'm leaning towards the well-established and
therefore more stable 3.3 release tomsave myself the hassle of new
features and thus also new bugs.

I see your point. And since TDF did not release any 3.3.5 changes (i.e. no
fixes were backported) it must mean that any bugs that affected line 3.3.x
must be solved (or they weren't detected meanwhile...)

If version 3.2 had all the features you needed, then I agree you are better
off with 3.3.x

There is no LibreOffice 3.2.x versions. OOo had one but LO started with 3.3.0 as their first version in January.

Version 3.3.5 has not come out yet, and it looks like it is now being "skipped".
     see http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan

3.4.5 is scheduled for Jan 11th 2012. [last of the 3.4.x line]

3.5.0 is scheduled for Feb 8th 2012. [3.5.6 - out Oct 17th 2012 as the last of that line]

3.6.0 is scheduled for Aug 1st 2012.

3.7.0 is scheduled for Feb 6th 2013.

Martin Jungowski wrote:

Is there a simple comparison between 3.3 and 3.4 that shows what 3.4 is
capable of that 3.3 isn't? Maybe there's something we really need but
don't know yet. Something that'd be worth the extra work and effort
necessary to deploy 3.4 instead of 3.3? Right now it's more like a
clusterf*ck of two separate feature sets with no easy way of comparison.

The simple answer is no. There isn't such a clear cut table . I guess that's
what separates a big company with a Marketing department and a group of well
intentioned people with no commercial vision :)

What Office modules/functions does your company use? All? Mainly Write? Do
you use Microsoft formats to exchange documents with other companies? Do you
use Office 2007/2010 Open XML i.e. OOXML formats? Do you produce leaflets in
Draw? Do you use SVG vector art? This kind of information would help in
advising you...

As far as I have seen, 3.4.3 seemed to open my .docx files a little better than 3.3.3 or 3.3.4. But that may be subjective on my part. As far as I am concerned, 3.4.3 or 3.4.4 would work well for any business and I would give the businesses I deal with a copy of my 3.4.4 DVD, when I make it. I have given out my 3.4.3 DVD to many businesses so far as either a new version to replace the one I have already given them, or as their first version of LibreOffice.

As the above text asks, it would be helpful to know what your users would be doing with LibreOffice. Since you did state something about already having them use OOo 3.2.x, their move to LibreOffice would easy as the current menu interface [non-Unity desktop users] is mostly the same as OOo 3.2.x. I went from OOo to LibreOffice in February when I first heard of LibreOffice. I did not find anything different than what I was using with OOo, for menu structures and such, but did find that LibreOffice had more options and functions included than my last used version of OOo. Now that LO is so much beyond what OOo was, LO is my only choice for a MS Office alternative. It is my only choice now since I use a Linux desktop as my primary system. I had MSO 2003 installed with OOo when I was using Windows on my primary system till I bought this system in Feb 2010. Then I switched over to all open-source software whether I was using my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS system or my XP or Vista systems. I find that if I have MSO and LO installed on my loan-out systems, most people seem to choose LO instead of MSO when I tell them I prefer LO. I have an old Compaq system I am getting ready for loaning to a lady who is in her early 70's and she tell me that Writer is just what she needs, and she makes a face when I ask her about Word.

So in your business, I would go with 3.4.3 or 3.4.4 over 3.3.4, but you can download them and try each of them on your system to decide which one works the best for your needs and your users' needs. I gave you 3.4.3, since some people do not like to install a version that "just came out a few weeks ago". Just like I would not recommend a software version that ends with ".0" if there is scheduled release of ".1" coming out in a month or two.

slightly off topic:
What languages do your users need to use?
Localized English - American, British, Oxford, Canadian, or other version?
Localized Spanish - Cuba, Spain, Argentina, Mexican, etc.?

There are over 180 different spell-checking dictionaries, thesaurus [included or separate ones] available. Here is a link to the largest list for LO [till LO gets them all in their Extension Center] http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/dictionary.html For English [American, British, or Canadian] you can find different version of these localized dictionaries with special version for Chemistry, Medical, "popular" names, etc., or ones with spelling word lists up to 638,000+ words and thesauruses that have over 140,000 words and phrases indexed for look-ups.

Although some of the dictionaries are no longer maintained, hopefully those that are will be added to the LO Extension Center soon. http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center and the same for the Template Center http://templates.libreoffice.org/template-center . There are so many extensions that are useful to anyone who works with documents, from text to spreadsheets. For myself, I always install

Language Tool
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/languagetool

Linguist
http://extensions.libreoffice.org/extension-center/linguist

Pagination
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-ons-extensions/Pagination-1.3.10.oxt

Writer Extras
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-ons-extensions/writerextras-0.3.0/WriterExtras.oxt

Writer Tools
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/add-ons-extensions/writertools-1.9.1/WriterTools.oxt

plus the galleries of images and templates that are out there in the Extension Center, and Template Center, plus other places like:
http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/artwork.html

http://libreoffice-na.us/English-3.4-installs/templates.html

PLUS, the complete set of documentation that LO has to offer, either in .odt/.pdf form or printed form from Lulu.com.
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/