drewjensen wrote:

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 22:39 -0800, Pedro wrote:
drewjensen wrote:

How to apply a template to an existing Calc file?

This is a quite interesting thread. I'm learning a lot from it ;)

I would say there isn't a way to change the template unless Andre
Schnable
modifies his extension to apply to Calc files as well :)

Well, the extension is OSS and written in LibOBasic, so anyone is able
to read the code and make changes.

Apparentely you can't even use styles from another Spreadsheet or
Template
because there is no New Style from Selection button in Calc's Style and
Formatting toolbar.

True - though you can still create a new default template of course.

This doesn't seem to be true. I can create a style from selection in calc.
What's almost an insult to injury is that I cannot add a column width to
that style, which would be most helpful. The style created is a paragraph
style, it looks, from looking at Templates > Organize. See the attached
image of Calc and Styles menu, you'll see the "Add Style from Selection"
button second from the right.

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n3519173/Screen_Shot_2011-11-18_at_08.51.36_.png

Also of note, when I save a blank template with styles as default, it does
keep column width and the paragraph style, per my saved template.

@Jack/Stephan -- I don't want to save the style to the csv, I'm aware that
is not possible. I simply want to apply a style for editorial purposes while
I am viewing the file. However, the issue is, I have to create the style in
each individual document in order to apply it. That completely obliterates
the efficiency of having a style.

In essence, I want add a new style into the actual default settings opened
by Calc. It looks like there is something that is defined as "Spreadsheet"
that you can reset to once you've changed  your default. I think that is
where I want to make my changes. No such luck finding that file, though,
digging through Application Support (on OS X) and in the Application
package. There was a presets dir there, but empty. Alas, no easy editing for
me.