On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 20:56 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
Ahh great.  I just don't know my way around Unity yet.  Anyway using the same tool you used
before sounds like a good option ;)

Oh, if things go really badly wrong Ubuntu offers a really neat trick that not many people know
about.  You can re-install it without formatting or over-writing data.  You have to re-install
the extra programs again (or remove ones you uninstalled last time)

On about the 3rd screen of the 11.10 installer (and most releases before that too) it offers
choices such as
"Erase disk and install Ubuntu" (avoid this one!!) or
"Something else" (this is the one)
It scans your drives and shows your partitions in a nice colourful graphical display.  If you
chose the wrong option either press the back button or the link to "Advanced partitioning tool"
to get to the same gui.

You need to set one partition to be / as that is where the OS and programs go.  It needs to be
the same partition type as it was before, probably ext4 or ext3.  It is good to have a separate
/home partition but that is usually in the same partition as the / first time you try Gnu&Linux.
Note that /home is a sub-folder inside / and contains user data&settings.

The important thing is to make sure that the "Format?" column has NO ticks.  If a partition gets
formatted it loses all the data it contained.  Ubuntu allows you to install without having any of
these ticked.  I think it's not recommended as a fresh install is better but it is possible and
seems to work well :)

One trick I have been using is to use two different partitions for a
base Linux install. The smaller one is the "/" partition and the larger
one is /home partition. This allows only updating the OS without
affecting the user data. To do this, I select the option to do a custom
install during installation.

Regards from
Tom :)