On 10/18/2011 01:52 PM, planas wrote:
On Tue, 2011-10-18 at 12:32 -0400, webmaster for Kracked Press
Productions wrote:

Unity looks good, sometimes, so I have been told.  But for people use to
GNOME or KDE, I would make sure those desktops are installed and set
them as the default.  Everything I have read, and heard, makes me fee
that will be my only choice, once I get my monitor issues fixed so I can
install 11.xx.  It may be worse with Win 8 and its "Ribbon" style of
desktop.  Good for touch pads but not of desktops.  That menu form is
what many of "my" MSO users would not go beyond MSO 2003 or switched to
OOo and then LO.

Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu do not install Unity at all. These have a
similar look and feel to Windows for most users. I believe you can
change the desktop at log in with 11.10 Ubuntu to Gnome 3.X
Running 10.04, I use GNOME by default, but I have the whole KDE package installed so I can run some of them under GNOME. There are just some things that I do not like about KDE's desktop, but I do like some of their system packages and other software. I just wish it did not change my monitor resolution during boot to 1920x1080, which my monitor cannot do. I installed 11.04 not knowing that, and I had to wipe the install while keeping my data.