On 10/10/2011 11:16 AM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
On Mon 10/10/2011 9:04 AM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions
[mailto:webmaster@krackedpress.com] wrote:

As for md5sum filse, I never created them before.  If you check the
LibreOffice.org download page, you will find that they do not have
md5sum files listed either.

Actually,  the Libre Office offers them as a check-box option. They've always been there.

ALSO, for security sake, ALL files that are downloaded [Windows users
should always do this] should be run though your virus scanners before
you run them.  Some scanners actually check all downloaded files right
after they have completed their download. ...

Very true, but a far more important security step IS to obtain valid signature/hash value
from the publisher of the file, and then to calculate the signature/hash of the downloaded file.
Doing so reveals both that you have the original file, and that your download was
complete. It helps ensure that you do not have malware but also that your installation
attempts are problem free.

OK, I never really saw that check box before. And what is that "..." after the md5sum mean?

If you check the box and then use the "Other way to download LibreOffice, the productivity suite", how do you use the md5sum files? How do you deal with these md5sum files to determine if your download file is "proper"? What is the process? If I knew about that, I may have looked into those files before.

The problem for me is I never have seen a way to generate a md5sum file for files I created. I never downloaded those files before either. It is just one more thing to download, if I had that option.

To be honest, most people I know would not know anything about the md5sum files and would be confused by them if they see them listed next to the downloads for the installs. They might think that it was a mirror. In fact, when I mouse-over that file, it shows the install file with a ".mirrorlist" added to the end of the install file name. If I did not know better, I would assume it was the install file in a mirrored location.

So, once I download the install and the md5sum file, what do I do next to determine if the files match and are proper?

Can I download both for each install and list them on my site? I would need simple, easy, and detailed instructions for users to follow, if they choose to. I would need it for Windows, Linux [DEB and RPM], and MacOSX [Intel and PPC], since that is what the full DVD would have for it. Then there is the fact that I do not have access to these md5sum files for the previous versions to use for my archive pages. I have not seen a LO archive page yet, so I put mine up now instead of later.