David,

On Sat, 2011-09-17 at 08:30 -0400, David B Teague sr wrote:

On 9/16/2011 6:56 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
If you were able to ring-fence about 20% of the features of MS Office then about 80% of users
never stray outside that.  From what i see it's more like about 100% of users.  Most users
don't even use all of that 20%.
I hope this isn't hijacking the thread, and if so, /please /say so, and
I'll repost this in a new thread.

The fact that 20% of the features of MS Office (and by implication, LO
and OO.o) used almost exclusively by some 80% of the users suggests to
me that OO.o should identify that 20% of features and modularize OO.o or
LO or what have you to include that 20% and make the other 80% of the
features available as extensions.

I think you will actually find individuals use about 20 - 25% of the
features regularly but I think you will find there is very little
overlap. This means that LO needs to cover about 75 - 85% of the
features as a minimum to cover the user base. You will find users who
will use one or two components almost exclusively and very rarely use
the others. For example I use Writer and Calc extensively, Base
occasionally, and almost never use Impress or Draw.

I'd like comments on this idea.

David Teague

--
nil significat nisi oscillat