On 11/09/2011, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

 3. Although PowerPoint 2010 will recognize the correct dashed line when
opening the ODP directly (not as a PPT), dashed lines produced in ODP format
from PowerPoint 2010 are not read correctly (as ODP format) by either
PowerPoint 2010 or LibreOffice Impress.

Personally, whether m$ is capable of opening the odp file is secondary
to a more interesting question: does this observation occur when the
odp is created _by LO_ to odf12 or the other options odf10/11 and
odf11? If my memory is correct you stated that m$o claims conformance
to odf10; in this case we would want to see LO create the odp file in
version odf10 and then m$o opens this file successfully and without
distortion (analogous to opening a w3 compliant html file in opera and
firefox).

If the m$ user receives the aforementioned file with distortion, two
expected causes would be either LO failing to create correctly the odp
file to the specification, or m$ fails to conform to the odf
specification. The former could be discounted if the recipient opens
the file in his/her LO and receives no distortion (assuming both LO
installations are odf compliant!).

If LO creates the odp file in an odf specification that m$ does not
understand, the m$ user should expect to receive a distorted file.

Z. Document Z from Dennis (ODP made from Document Y using PowerPoint 2010)

LibreOffice Impress opens this document and retains a dashed line, but the
dashes are much smaller and there are many of them.  At 100% these view as
intermittent long and short dashes.

Do you have to change the odf specification setting of LO?

PowerPoint 2010 opens this document (which it produced) and the dashed line
has turned into a solid line.

To clarify, this occurs when m$ shows the odp file on screen as
expected (i.e. dashed line) but after closing m$ and reopening, a
solid line is visible?

PS: I must point out that the primary marketing thrust of OpenOffice.org was
and is that it offers (unqualified) support for key Microsoft Office
formats, it is free, and it runs on more than Windows.  I don't know how
LibreOffice is positioned, but it would be interesting to see what would
happen if "support for Microsoft Office formats" were to be removed from all
promotional statements concerning LibreOffice.

It is interesting that so many are fearful of the "nightmare scenario"
of LO not supporting m$, but that is _not_ the objective of the
original opinion. As consistently stated, the issue is that the time
spent reporting behaviour of LO with m$ formats must be spent more
profitably long term on the odf instead. On the basis of those
comments posted, the unfortunate conclusion is that for m$ users, odf
is of lesser importance than m$ which makes LO a mere m$ clone.