-sigh- let's see if I can get this attribution thing
fixed... gnus-outlook-deuglify-article couldn't process this message

On 2011-09-08 11:14 AM Tom Davies wrote:

Interspersing or bottom-posting ensures that every message needs to be
scrolled through unless people delete all the stuff that is irrelevant
(in their opinion, which 'might not' be the same as the opinion of the
person reading). Top posting means that most emails can be read
without any scrolling at all.

Not true. You have to scroll down to see what is being responded to then
scroll back up to see the response. Since you do not include proper
attribution marks for the posts you respond to, the immediate message
you respond to appears to be written by you.

Well, I guess if someone has a pretty damn good short term memory, then
we really don't need any context at all. That's right, we need ... erm,
what was I talking about again?

Larry has just presented two other problems with top-posting.

No, he didn't.  He just showed that he has not read any of the posts
yet as his arguments are already countered in previous posts.

What was exactly your argument to support lack of proper
citation/attribution marks?

Besides it doesn't matter how strong the argument against top-posting
might be.  The fact is that it is widely used especially by office
workers.  Do we want to stop office workers from using LibreOffice?
Alienating them would be a good way to get them to stay with whatever
else they already use.

Maybe we should instead teach office workers to use e-mail correctly.

Betamax was a better format than VHS but it lost the battle for
acceptance and now the argument is irrelevant anyway.  Perhaps it is
similar with bottom posting.  It might be better but almost no-one in
our target markets use it (note the "almost" there).  Most people
would rather use forums anyway as mailing lists are ancient and
out-dated.

Unlike betamax and VHS, top-posted emails and bottom-posted emails are
both readable by the same kind of client, so that analogy won't work.

With betamax and VHS, unless you buy a VCR that supports both, or two
VCRs, you get to stick with the choice you made and you can't use the
other format.

So, do we want to go the route of betamax, ie obscurity, or do we want
to get LibreOffice out there and being used?

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2