On 9/8/11 1:09 PM, Don C. Myers wrote:

Some of you have convinced me to use top posting, since it is better.
Some of you have convinced me to use bottom posting, since it is better.
Some of you have convinced me to do snipping, since it is better.
Obviously there isn't a black and white solution.

True, there isn't a 100% correct *absolute* *physical* solution as to the correct way to format. The solution is for everyone in any particular newsgroup to follow the same criteria and agreed upon formatting rules. AKA, the netiquette link at the bottom of every post. And, notably, the link on to how to format and quote replies.

I got into a discussion about netiquette early on with a poster here, and in researching the issue, it just confirmed your statement about a black and white solution.

What was apparent was, each and every newsgroup I looked at, that had netiquette rules, insisted you follow those rules. No one said their way was correct for *all* newsgroups. Just that their rules were correct for their newsgroup, and you were expected to follow them.

For Tom, as much as I respect his knowledge about LO, he and others are so out of line in not following the rules for *this* newsgroup, I don't think it's funny. How can these folks tell their children, coworkers, friends, to follow certain rules when they don't follow the rules here?

*My Big Concern* here is how are we being perceived by those who come
here for help by the amount of time that has been spent on this thread
today. I was one of the first responders last night. Never did I dream
when I went to bed last night my inbox will be filled with a discussion
like this today. People come here for help. People come here to help
others. If this was the first day I came to this list, and I saw all of
this and my problem being somewhat trivialized by all of this
discussion, I would be out of hear.

My perception if I was a new user, is if a thread is long, it must be something important enough to generate that much discussion.

But once I started reading the posts, and found that replies were here and there and spread all over the place, I'd get so frustrated trying to figure things out I'd just leave after awhile.

And that would certainly not help the LO cause.  :-)

I'm not trying to hurt anybody's feelings, but quite honestly, I'm sure
a newcomer hear today would not be at all impressed with a list that has
done a tremendous amount of good for LibreOffice and provided great help
to many people in the past.

I certainly agree with you here.

--
Ken