Hi, Tom,

On 9/8/11 6:13 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Top posting is fine.  Almost everyone top-posts except some people in a few
OpenSource mailing lists.  If you need to communicate with anyone that works in
an office then you probably have to top-post otherwise they will probably just
ignore your email and delete it without reading it..

Top posting essentially ends up with a layout/format that is similar to forums, but in reverse. All new answers are at the top of the discussion, and in forums the new answers are at the bottom.

And if the discussion is long, and the poster doesn't trim or the number of pertinent replies gets large, finding the section of the message that is being replied to requires a lot of scrolling. And can be a huge time waster, as it is in long forum threads. I know this about forum threads, I'm involved with one now that is 6 web pages in length currently.

A few old-timers here might have to accept that we are here to help open things
up for people not  to bully, restrict and make unnecessary demands.

Asking people to follow the rules is not bullying, restricting, or making unnecessary demands. It simply makes it easier for everyone to know where the new replies will be found.

I think the core problems of this dilemma of where to post is lack of education, and lack of enforcement of the rules.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.6.8
Firefox 6.0.2