On 2011-09-07 9:29 PM, Don Myers <donmyers@myersfarm.com> wrote:
I will respect your wishes about posting at the bottom.

It isn't about 'posting at the bottom' - it is about trimming your post
to only quote the relevant portion of the text you are responding to,
and placing each response (if you are responding to more than one point)
after each relevant quoted portion of text - just like this one is done...

I live in the US. I do a lot of work e-mails in my job, and receive a
lot of work e-mails. I never receive any e-mails where people reply
to me at the bottom. The reply is always at the top.

That is *only* because Microsoft decided to make blindly top-posting
(and quoting the *entire* previous *email*, rather than encouraging
users to actually *think* about what they are replying to and respond
intelligently).

I never understood why Thunderbird had the default to reply at the
bottom when Thunderbird came out.

Now you know.

It was backwards!!!!!!

No, it is correct - it is only 'backwards' for those weaned on Outlook.

So I have always changed the default on every system I've installed
it on. Maybe there are different customs in different countries.

Nothing to do with countries - only to do with laziness vs spending a
few extra seconds intelligently crafting your responses.