On Sun, 2011-06-19 at 21:50 -0700, aqualung wrote:

Twayne wrote:

IIRC, the use is given the choice of not affecting any other file
associations during the install. Or, it can take over all of them
depending
on which you choose at install time.
O.K., good. So, LibO already gives the three-way choice dialog box that I
envisioned? I am not going to try installing LibO now myself because the
warning on the Release Notes page scares me that my OOo 3.3 will get messed
up!

Once installed, you can also change
them but you have to do them individually which is a lot of work.
No, it's not a lot of work. Windows Control Panel > Default Programs

"Registering" means of course, entries in the registry which, when a file
such as .odt or .ods is clicked, opens whatever program has been
registered
to open it. Depending on where in the REgstry these program-choosings lie,
and which it comes to first, and with both LO and OOo iinstalled to take
the
same file extensions, it's a crap shoot AFAIK which one wiil be seen
first,
and used to open that file.
It should not be the case, ever, that both LibO and OOo are registered for
the same file extensions. If that happens (if it is even possible at all),
then someone has messed up somewhere.

And I would expect
to be able to make either program the default for all (or
only some) possible file types via Windows Control Panel
at any time.

There is no way to do that that I'm aware of.
Yes there is. See above.

I think you have to consider OOo and LO as two different "producers" of
similar programs and they one is not in any way co-erced into doing what
the
other does in results or code. This is going to happen with any two or
more
programs that share common files or Registry entries so it's not new, it's
just something that seldom happens. OTOH there's nothing to prevent it
from
happening either.
LibO and OOo should not "share" any registry entries. They may both have
dependencies on the same system files but that is nothing unusual.

   Like I said before I don't see a need to run them in parallel
simultaneiously so for me it's nothing that matters much.
Again, I don't mind not being able to run them in parallel. I want to have
LibO and OOo installed side by side on the system and not interfere with
each other in any way. It's O.K. if only of them can be open and running at
the same time!

I guess if it were me, I'd just go ahead and try the
installs, first in one order, then the opposite order, and see what
happens.
If I had to guess, I'd say to install OOo first, then LO. Make them both
whatever version you want to run production-wise.
No, I won't do that. The warning to uninstall OOo before installing LibO is
a big red flag that tells me bad things may happen if I want to keep OOo.
And I don't have hours to spend on fixing any damage to my system.

What specific two versions of each are you trying to install? I'll try it
here on win XP Pro and see what happens using those two specific versions.
also have a win7 laptop I can try it on. I'll have free time to play with
it
about mid-week.
Thank you for the offer, you might try installing first OOo 3.3 and then
LibO 3.3.3 on your Windows 7 machine; put both through their paces and let
us know what happens.

My experience is that Windows will often assign the default program for
OOo/LO files types to the last one installed. So if you are trying a
side by side install the order you did the installation is important.
What I have seen is if LO is the default then when I want to use OOo I
must open OOo then open the file. Clicking on the file will result in it
opening in LO.

I have seen with other file types particularly audio and video files
where you might have two or three players and the last one installed
changes the file associations in the registry to it.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com