If you have LO installed as the default and want to open a file in OO, simply right
click on the file and choose "open with". That will probably bring up OO as an
option. If it isn't an option, click on "choose default program" and through this
window you will be able to find and choose OO. IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO ACTUALLY
CHANGE DEFAULT PROGRAMS BE SURE THE LITTLE BOX ON THE LEFT IS NOT!!!!! CHECKED. This
will open your chosen file with OO, AND should leave OO as a choice in the "open
with" choice of the context menu, and should leave LO as the default. At least that
has been my experience with XP, Vista, and Win7.
Roxy

My experience is that Windows will often assign the default program for
OOo/LO files types to the last one installed. So if you are trying a
side by side install the order you did the installation is important.
What I have seen is if LO is the default then when I want to use OOo I
must open OOo then open the file. Clicking on the file will result in it
opening in LO.

I have seen with other file types particularly audio and video files
where you might have two or three players and the last one installed
changes the file associations in the registry to it.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com