Hello Robinson,

Le Tue, 16 Jul 2013 13:29:10 -0400,
Robinson Tryon <bishop.robinson@gmail.com> a écrit :

The PDF Readers campaign[1] recently contacted LibreOffice and asked
us to promote the use of Free Software readers for PDF file formats.
We had a brief discussion[2] on the website mailing list, and I had
the idea that it might be helpful for LibreOffice if we or the FSFE
ran a similar campaign for ODF.

There are several directions such a campaign could take; here are some
of my first thoughts:

1) Promote the use of standardized icons for ODF files, both when
listing files for download, or when listing system
capabilities/allowed upload formats.

(Question: Is there a standardized set of icons for ODF files?)

There was a big debate a long time ago and the answer was that it would
not really work.

2) Promote the use of Free Software for reading/writing ODF file
formats.

I assume you're familiar with the Document Freedom Day? We participate
to it too. But at the risk of playing the devil's advocate, we promote
the use of open standards and ODF, however, promoting the use of Free
Software for ODF file goes exactly against the initial purpose: open
standards are open to everyone, even proprietary software. That's their
value and their importance.

3) Ask websites that provide ODF files to link to our list of
ODF-compatible Free Software.

our list --> you may rather want to have them link to the wikipedia
entry on ODF.

Following the concept of the PDF Readers campaign, we could get a
domain like 'odf-software.org' and provide HTML and campaign
badges/icons to make it trivial to link to the site.

Yes, but.... why should it be up to us? It could be up to the OASIS
Consortium and other movements to take care of that.  I sound reluctant
here not because I'm not interested but because it's very important to
realize that we are an implementor of ODF. ODF as such is vendor
neutral and while we ought to push the use of  ODF we cannot "take
over" the promotion of ODF.

4) Ask websites that provide editable files in Word/Excel/PowerPoint
to alternately or additionally provide versions in an ODF format.

Preaching to the choir :-) Actually Wikipedia / Wikimedia already
provide the ability to create ODF documents based on a collection of
articles.

Best,

Charles.

Cheers,
--R

[1] http://pdfreaders.org/
[2] http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/website/msg11433.html

--
Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder & Director, The Document Foundation,