On 05/06/2013 04:12 PM, Marc Paré wrote:
Le 06/05/13 03:36 PM, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Hello Tom,

Your observation is correct I think. But then I'd say that these brochures will be primarily handed to people in venues volunteers of the project can exhibit. So you have to think of this brochure in its usage and context. I have yet to see the guy next door stumbling on a brochure about a FOSS project and adopting it.

My point here is that traditional marketing does not work for FOSS and this is why we should -let me repeat it again- market our community, not the product. Product advertising.necer hurts of course and I am happy this brochure exists but it is one tool aming others, not what's going to get us.more downloads.

Best,

Charles.

Obviously this is different from my response to Tom's post. We can tweak the brochure to flow the way we wish later at the writing stage. The initial points will look similar, but the language/text makeup will send the message we want.

Once we get to the writing stage we can perhaps take this discussion up if it is necessary.

In the meantime, I look at it from this point of view: If I go to a conference, LUG, FOSS conference, educational conference for professionals etc., and someone hands me a brochure on "LibreOffice in Education", and I had never heard of LibreOffice, then I would want to read of its selling points. If you spoke to me of the community, then I most likely would not be interested. If I had never heard of LibreOffice I would want to read of its virtues in education, the reasons as to why I would want to use/adopt it either for myself, my school board or for my students. I would not be interested in the community until after I was more engaged (sold) on LibreOffice.

Our entry point for most people is the product and of the advantages it allows users.

BTW ... we are also going to work on a Brochure-Type: Community, where this would be more appropriate.

I use the brochures as a tool to give the person a place to look at some basic info about LO and a URL for more info. I tend to chat up LO to people and then if I see that they are interested in what I am saying, I give them my card and a brochure [if I have any with me]. I know of some people who took it home and places it on the table where they put their car keys [or similar place] and their kids or spouse picked up the brochure and asked about what this was all about. I know about two of these cases since they started using LO on their home systems, after another talk with me.

Having a brochure handout at a "event" can be used differently. Some events need different type of brochures. Some, like Marc's Education conference would want to know specifics about what LO could do for them, their students, etc.. Some events are more "community based" where having a big community of users and helpers behind the product is a concern to people who used a package that was good but there was no real community backing to help and support the product's users.

I think right now we need some type of brochures that tell the person who read it that this is what LO is and what LO does. We need a generic one that stated that the suite offers these parts, like Draw and Math, that might not be something other suites offer. Then there will be the need for specific "markets". What can LO do for the needs of an educator and/or the student. What can LO do for the writer or articles, books, and technical manuals. What can LO do for the user of a specific field or market.

Yes, we need to stress our community somewhere, but not a whole brochure letting people here use praising out community and its support of our users. A line or two might be all that is needed. Of course having a "for more information - go to this URL", is something the brochures will need. If we can write a brochure, or set of brochures, that will be picked up and read, then we need to make sure we have a good place for the potential user can go to for more information about LO. I have fielded some questions, but the web site, the wiki, and the PDF guides should be easy to find and helpful for allowing a potential user to become an actual user.

To be honest, we should have started the brochure template and content descussion back in the first summer that LO was available for download. Then all we would need to do is keep the materials updated. We needed a lot of marketing tools back then. At least we are working on them now.