On 07/05/2013, at 6:12, Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> wrote:

Le 06/05/13 03:36 PM, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Hello Tom,

Your observation is correct I think. But then I'd say that these brochures will be  primarily
handed to people in venues volunteers of the project can exhibit. So you have to think of this
brochure in its usage and context. I have yet to see the guy next door stumbling on a brochure
about a FOSS project and adopting it.

My point here is that traditional marketing does not work for FOSS and this is why we should
-let me repeat it again- market our community, not the product. Product advertising.necer hurts
of course and I am happy this brochure exists but it is one tool aming others, not what's going
to get us.more downloads.

Best,

Charles.

Obviously this is different from my response to Tom's post. We can tweak the brochure to flow the
way we wish later at the writing stage. The initial points will look similar, but the
language/text makeup will send the message we want.

Once we get to the writing stage we can perhaps take this discussion up if it is necessary.

In the meantime, I look at it from this point of view: If I go to a conference, LUG, FOSS
conference, educational conference for professionals etc., and someone hands me a brochure on
"LibreOffice in Education", and I had never heard of LibreOffice, then I would want to read of
its selling points. If you spoke to me of the community, then I most likely would not be
interested. If I had never heard of LibreOffice I would want to read of its virtues in education,
the reasons as to why I would want to use/adopt it either for myself, my school board or for my
students. I would not be interested in the community until after I was more engaged (sold) on
LibreOffice.

Our entry point for most people is the product and of the advantages it allows users.

I completely agree with Marc, especially regarding the eduction sector.

BTW ... we are also going to work on a Brochure-Type: Community, where this would be more
appropriate.

That's one of the types I mentioned in my previous note. I should read all my mail before writing
notes. :-)

--Jean