Marc Paré wrote on 2012-10-03 12:25:

Well, perhaps it is because there was very little pertinent information
given to get any response. I don't think this kind of comment is very
inspiring to the group of people interested in marketing, but, yes, I
understand your frustration.

sometimes under stress words sound more harsh then they were meant. :-) I really do appreciate everyone's work here!

So, I agree with your summary that the donation page is, well, extensible. Totally agreed. However, we thought it's better to make a smart start for our second anniversary, since that's a fantastic and symbolic date, rather than waiting until we have everything in place perfectly.

I think there's a need for funding in lots of places, and it will be hard prioritizing things. However, I also do agree that communicating our needs better is definitely helpful. Since the beginning, we have been making our budget public, which is a good start and gives a good overview, but is not the best basis for future planning.

As you can see - and sorry for not communicating that earlier - we have now agreed on a first target of 100.000 €. This is twice the sum we received last year (we had 50.000 € for the capital stock, and then about 40.000 € in the beginning for our ongoing operations).

It is now on us to come up with a list of tasks and requests that should be funded with these. A good example is what Charles has written:

* 50k euros : infra for 1 year
* 90k euros: infra&  one paid, half time resource to infra administration
* 100k: one major marketing campaign (with global reach)
* 150k: infra for one year + one part time admin + funding of several
local
ops and projects of common interest.
* 200k : a major feature development
* 300k : infra+ one infra admin + 1 major feature development

Of course, there are many other possibilities, but what I think is important is to give people a picture where there is a need. If for example in infra we had the freedom to simply buy a dozen new machines, things would be way better, but a dozen of machines cost amount XYZ.

What we effectively need now is a (senseful) wishlist from the various teams. Think of it as a Christmas wishlist: You write a dozen things on it, eventually you get two or three, which is fantastic!

Besides the infrastructure and cost for ongoing operations, I can also imagine some developer machines are required, more travel funding, a marketing campaign, funds to produce collaterals and swags for giving them away, and many more.

My proposal is to create a wiki page, asking the various groups to write down their wishes, and eventually "distill" a wishlist out of that.

Does that sound senseful? Are there any volunteers for mailing the various lists and compiling an initial wiki page?

For all the other ideas (donation period and the like), I'd like to postpone them to when we have the initial round running. I like those ideas, but first we should come up with a compelling list of things we need and want to fund.

Does that sound senseful?

"Did you know that your funding allowed us to purchase ... for our
infrastructure; allowed our membership to participate in conferences,
Quality Assurance (QA) weekend meetings, ... (add more of this to the
list ... have at least 5 in total to give the donators infromation to
where their past contributions have gone) ... (is there anywhere else
that donation money was applied ... swag?)

Exactly, besides the wishlist, I'd like to also inform of concrete goals achieved, definitely.

Florian

Tel: +49 8341 99660880 | Mobile: +49 151 14424108