Hi Charles, et al,

Le 2012-10-03 04:32, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
Sigh... There does not seem to be actual marketer on this list. Anyway,
here's my proposal:

Well, perhaps it is because there was very little pertinent information given to get any response. I don't think this kind of comment is very inspiring to the group of people interested in marketing, but, yes, I understand your frustration.

* 50k euros : infra for 1 year
* 90k euros: infra&  one paid, half time resource to infra administration
* 100k: one major marketing campaign (with global reach)
* 150k: infra for one year + one part time admin + funding of several local
ops and projects of common interest.
* 200k : a major feature development
* 300k : infra+ one infra admin + 1 major feature development

Thanks, now that we are armed with some information, we can get to work on proposals.

Here is what I proposed last December (below and original post here[1]), which I still think holds value today. When we decide to develop a serious fundraising campaign we should not be doing this by half measures. We should have a serious and predictable donation campaign programme.

[Dec 14 2011]
"We should really develop a philosophy on donations for LibreOffice rather than doing random pleas for donations.

Here is my suggestion:

We should have one "donation period" in the year where we appeal to member support. I would suggest the month of April and that we do the following:

* ask for member/user/individual support by suggesting a minimum "micro" donation of $10 [or equivalent] and this request would only come once a year through the website April donation drive. No other funding drives would occur during the following 11 months of the year. * budgets for academic institutions traditionally end on April 31st (I suspect this is the same for most institutions regardless of locations on earth -- I realize that there may be some where this may not be true). Year-end fiscal planning and decisions by institutions are made at this point and any proposals are taken seriously during the month of April. The marketing team could work up a plan specifically for request of institutional support. * budgets for businesses vary, but during the month of April, we could suggest a "corporate" donation gesture that we would find appropriate. The suggested amount could be broken down from a perspective of small-medium-large sized businesses.

The donation page would still be available during the rest of the year, but we would not run any drives on any other months than the chosen "LibreOffice April Funding Drive". Outside of this month, donations could still be made if a user wished to do so.

If we established a month out of the year where it was identified as the "LibreOffice [month] Funding Drive", then this would become a predictable event of the year, very much like someone belonging to a professional association where their association fees would come due at the same time each year. In our case our suggested "funding drive" fee for individuals would be of $10 for the year. "

===========================

Now, as far as this particular funding drive. Seeing as it has already started, and, the noise about the funding drive has only started showing up on the marketing list in late September (if there has been any talk of getting the marketing team involved on the "details" of the funding drive I could not find it -- there either has to be more sharing of information or at the very least let marketing people know when there are discussion related to marketing happening on another list) here are my suggestions:

This is the second funding drive; we need a

"Did you know that your funding allowed us to purchase ... for our infrastructure; allowed our membership to participate in conferences, Quality Assurance (QA) weekend meetings, ... (add more of this to the list ... have at least 5 in total to give the donators infromation to where their past contributions have gone) ... (is there anywhere else that donation money was applied ... swag?)

After this we should develop from Charles' post, a marketing statement such as:

"Why do we need your help once again? Your contributions to the LibreOffice project will allow us to keep pace with pressure put on our infrastructure due to contributor and user growth. We are now graced with over ???? developers, a growing membership as well as growing user base.

Here is what your contributions will allow us to purchase and the realize. (We have projected the amounts for each category.)

* 50k euros : infra for 1 year
* 90k euros: infra & one paid, half time resource to infra administration
* 100k: one major marketing campaign (with global reach)
* 150k: infra for one year + one part time admin + funding of several local ops and projects of common interest.
* 200k : a major feature development
* 300k : infra + one infra admin + 1 major feature development

(make sure that the list has examples of usage so that the contributors can relate to the requested amounts of $$$. AND make the list more "understandable" to a regular contributor.)

Finally, we need a "Pass the word" section, where we encourage our website visitors to pass on the information to others through social media ... have a "friend us" campaign or make use of Twitter etc.

===========================

We need to also have informed donors. Somewhere on our donation page, there should be mentions of there following: (we also need the numbers on this ... this should be almost done monthly for serious use by the marketing members):

* number of devs (most recent numbers ... as of [date])
* number of members (most recent numbers  ... as of [date])
* number of LibreOffice downloads (most recent numbers and also 12 month numbers) * number of conferences where LibreOffice had presence (data pulled from our events calendar has mention of this. Numbers for the last 12 months)

The more informed our donators, the better.

In addition, develop a pamphlet that mirrors what is put on the website. I would suggest we make use of the BR-PT to develop a pamphlet an in either in EN or PT and to translate it for our own use. We should also get the design group to help out with any designs needed for the pamphlet or website. But we need to develop the website as soon as possible as we are already in the "donation campaign" mode.

BTW ... donation campaigns are usually driven either by date or amount. I imagine that we are looking at an amount driven campaign from the discussions that are taking place on this list.

Hope this helps,
Charles.

[1] http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.documentation.libreoffice.marketing/4678

--