Hello Marc, Bjoern, all,

Le Sat, 11 Aug 2012 02:31:52 -0400,
Marc Paré <marc@marcpare.com> a écrit :

Le 2012-08-10 17:51, Bjoern Michaelsen a écrit :
Hi Marc, Hi Charles, all,

On Sun, Aug 05, 2012 at 06:25:19AM -0400, Marc Paré wrote:

I just created a wikipage at:

  https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/StrategyBrainstorming2012

as indeed mailing lists tend to bury valueable contributions. I
propose to advertize this page unrestricted and widely and be very
open about even the craziest contributions.

At the Conference in Berlin we will then be able collaboratively
work out, which ideas:
- seem to make sense to us
- find somebody commiting himself and ressources
- and thus are implementable

Chances for your proposals are of course higher, if you join us and
you are a part of the 'we' in Berlin. ;)

Sorry for dropping in and hijacking the thread -- I was lurking and
think this should not loose inertia. Looking forward for your
proposals!

Best,

Bjoern

Thanks for creating the page, but ... I will not be attending Berlin
as I doubt very few Americans (South, Central or North) will have the
funding abilities to do so. Secondly, unlike what the subject line of
discussion "Defining a marketing strategy" of this thread, the wiki
page states:

"Note that there is not a section about 'product strategy' or
'development direction' as that is a whole different issue and does
not belong here.

Note again: Nothing here has any commitment to it yet, if you want to
see it implemented, commit yourself and make us love your idea in
Berlin! "

A clear indication that this will not be a serious exercise for those
of us who do wish to speak to the topic of strategy (again, Italo
would have to take part in the discussion as we have all agreed that
he leads in the area of marketing for the project).

 I think that what Bjoern is trying to do is to square out the topic;
 but let me just add two things. First, there are travel refunds
 options available for the Berlin conference if you submit a talk and
 that it is accepted, so I'd like you (and others) to seriously
 consider this as an option. Besides, it's fun and it's a great moment
 to spend together. Second, I plan to contribute to the marketing team
 much more in the coming months, so expect me to bug everyone much more
 often than I did in the past. Contrary to Italo I will not focus on
 the PR and communications side of things, I will rather dwell on more
 "traditional" marketing concept.

If you are looking for marketing ideas, there are over 12 months, and
more, of good ideas on the marketing section, and, it would only take
for a person to collect them in one area -- which has already been
done "Marketing wiki pages" <-- I did made an effort of keeping the
wiki pages organized as best as possible and have committed to
re-organize the pages.

If this were a serious attempt at "Defining a marketing strategy", I
for one would hope that the group would have seriously examined the
marketing pages and were familiar with its contents and then perhaps
made an initial note of what has already been spoken of by the
community.

It seems to me, that, given the short amount of time the LiboCon
provides to members who are in attendance, it would be far better to
arrive with at least some framework of defining marketing strategy
already in play. To do this, and to keep the discussion topic
focused, requires committed participants.

We can definitely work on this here (mailing list + wiki) and I don't
want anyone to feel excluded by not going to Berlin (but still, in
Berlin, we'll have a collaborative and public session about that
topic).

As for the wiki, I did examine (over time and regularly) our marketing
wiki, and I must say that defining a marketing strategy is definitely a
priority *especially* reading what we have in the wiki. We have all
sorts of ideas, but there are action proposals without any coherence,
any general idea about where we want to go. It's a bit like there are
two conceptual layers missing above them. So let's have this discussion
now, at the very least, it will help the Berlin session even more so
and get us started on this (very) important topic.

Best,
Charles.

Charles-H. Schulz
Co-founder & Director, The Document Foundation,
Zimmerstr. 69, 10117 Berlin, Germany
Mobile Number: +33 (0)6 98 65 54 24.