On 30-07-2012 13:02, Charles-H.Schulz wrote:
Could we start or continue the discussion?
What we need to think about and determine are the following items
(shamelessly plugging from Leif's email):
Feel free ;-)
I'm not a marketing guy, so I'm hoping someone will pick it up.

- the target audience (might be too broad)
Here are some more key points:
Don't fight against IBM/Apache! Go for Microsoft - thats where our users are. IBM doesn't deserve our attention (in public).

Privat users
Business users
Students/education
Political arena?
Windows users

We already have material for some marketing against the business users. When 3.6 becomes stable (3.6.3?) we can announce that an summarize past, current and future features targeting the business market: Easier bulk install on Windows, CMIS integration, stability and speed and of cause LibreOffice On Line. An announcement that emphasize all the features that are important to business use.

Future conference plans:
Our yearly conference is mostly a DevCon. We could slowly move against either having two conferences: DevCon and Business Conference or by adding a special track for business to the DevCon.

Another aspect of the conference is journalists. If we look at the commercial product conferences there are always a lot of journalists present. They get special invitations from the vendor and they will write columns after column about the product. Why do they come? Because first of all they get invited. Secondly because they always get something (announcements) to write about. That is new releases, new features, new (certification- or partner-) programs.

I think it's too late for Berlin (unless Italo & Co. can come up with a few fast ideas), but we should plan some for next year.
- are we offering a product or a community (do we sell who we are or
what we do, and/or the way we do it)?
We succeeded selling the idea (spirit) in the free software environment. But on the Windows market I think we should sell free (as in beer). Not that I like it, but thats what they want to buy. I'm not speaking about private users here :-) I don't want to get in that direction either...

Example: In Denmark we have had two big license audits in the public sector this year. It was brought up by the media but nobody really payed attention to it (mid summer when the country was on vacation). TDF could emphasize that our license model is much less complicated (again with the focus on business).

- we have no roadmap feature-wise, but we have a detailed release plan.
Do we need a "train map"? (no detailed features, but saying where we
would want to be in a year, two years, etc.)
We already have that - don't we?
I mean we have all the GSoC projects and a few more (LOOL, Android and CMIS). Just put it on a timeline (without dates). ESC could help making a reasonable draft.
- the channels
Continue to feed the IT-media. Every day ;-)
Try to reach business newspapers. Business cases, calculations of ROI and TCO and all that - must come from existing cases to be reliable. Some visibility and general branding in free newspapers like Metro Express etc.

- the mission/the story
Its good for your business in the long run. Compare with proprietary software vendors (license trap). Goal: Get the general acceptance of large business use should participate or sponsor though partners (matches the certification program well)

Cheers,
Leif Lodahl