OK,
Sorry this has taken a little while, but I have been busy with paid
work over the last week more than normal.
I have created a workflow summary from the information gathered from
this thread.
In addition to this we can build a 'exhibition system' which would
allow people outside of the design team to see examples of projects
that the design team have completed, but that is the next step, we
need to build the groundwork first.

See the design workflow summary here:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/Drupal/Design

Can you please make any comments regarding the appropriateness of the
workflow and project states. Any additional functionality of the
Request-Develop-Feedback-Approve-Launch sequence and inputs and
outputs to the system should be built now.
I hope this satisfies all those designers out there who are hungry for
a taste of what is to come.

My questions:
Should we also allow people to post unauthorised design resources
(Only within the design group) as design ideas?

Italo,
I am sure we can do both with the Drupal site. It will be a great
resource for initiates as well as very pleasing and functional to old
hands.
It can be hard at times to trust another group with something you are
dependant on, but I assure you that the system will be very functional
and easy to use for non-technical people.

Michael Wheatland