It would for example also be possible to have "master" project in
pootle (instead of just for the release-branches), so that the amount
of changes are incremental, and not all one or two months before a new
major release.
(but that of course means applying a translation to multiple projects,
so not sure whether that really reduces the work and not causing more
work for translators...)

For at least a few years, I performed most of my Mozilla localization
work on their master branch. When branches were cut and repositories
migrated, I would migrate my repos too. I can imagine a scenario where
at least some teams would want to work on LibO master as well. There
even is potential that such process could help avoid some problems by
signaling them early enough so that they can be fixed or undone.

Obviously though, this should not be required from all teams. And if we
have at least two simultaneously active release branches, this might not
be the best approach.

I for one -- i.e. the Estonian team :) -- would very much like to work on
master branch.

Br
Mihkel