Þann sun 10.mar 2013 22:23, skrifaði Christian Lohmaier:
Hi Jelle, *,

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM, Jelle Mulder <pjmulder@xs4all.nl> wrote:
[...]
Well the point I'm trying to make is that the installer is completely
localised.

Yes, I fully understand. But while I see it is a problem for /you/, I
doubt that this szenario is affecting "the masses".
Even when the language of the OS is not the target language of your
application, one can assume that the person using the OS at least
understands the OS language. Everything else is a corner case.

Well, for many smaller languages there may not be any Windows UI-localisation available or just not installed; yet the locale might be correctly defined: --> UI = english (fallback language) and the LO-installer language = XX-locale (if translations exist).
Also there is a question of keyboard layout.

A long time ago we had an example of a french native working in Moscow with a non-cyrilic keyboard, doing work in [ukranian] and other languages (if I recall correctly), wanting to switch LibreOffice-UI according to the language she was working on at the moment. Things can be complicated.

But then again: I see that having a dropdown or other selection within
the installer to switch both the installer language as the default of
what gets installed to the respective language only as a nice feature.
And to repeat myself:
######
"I have no insight on hard it would be to add a button "use english"
for the installer - but in any case: File an issue in buzilla, just
discussing it here won't change anything.
######

Even Linux-distro-installers like Anaconda start with a simple section; "Please choose a language to use during installation", many Windows packages do too (as I recall).
The Linux-installers also ask for keyboard layout.
Just polite in my opinion.

But I agree; this is more of a bugzilla request. The UI/UX might have an opinion on how/where to define those choices, but then maybe this is depending on which installer software is used to produce the MSI-packages?

[...]
and probably the odd 10% of all world population that can consider
themselves immigrants.

I disagree here. Why do they use a OS they cannot understand in the
first place? Either they already own a computer, then they should just
keep using that, or they have to buy one, but then they could just buy
a version in the language they understand.

The user UI-language may be in a certain language, but to install packages you'd have to drop into admin-mode, which is normally in system locale and language. Right?

Best regards,

Sveinn í Felli

And if you're there to work - how are you supposed to actually do
work, when you cannot understand the OS - and why let people install
you software there? So to me it still is a rare corner-case.

Oh,.. sure,.. I could plug some Linux distro on it and all my trouble would
be over. However, that would exclude me from communicatng with my collegues
that run all those nifty malware tools like QQ (some IM) and the like. Nor
do Linux distro's support Chinese all that well for those that cannot read
Chinese. It exists, but alas,.. the info is all in Chinese and not all of it
is in HTML format that I might run through Google Chrome to translate it.

I can't follow you on the Linux point here. If you don't understand
any chinese, why install chinese linux? If you cannot read chinese,
how would you write chinese? (I can only assume you mean how to
install a IME to write chinese is not documented in "non-chinese"
properly - but then again - chicken and egg problem - just install
ibus with a chinese IME and you're done - the times where installing
an IME was painfull are long over, thanks to all Linux-distros using
UTF-8 by default now.

[-..]
Come on people,.. if this is the UI/UX department, this issue is right at
it's place as this is UI/UX at it's purest.

Sorry, but you wrote to the l10n list - at least that is what I have
been replying to..

File a bug an indeed UX would be the correct place to lay out what it
should offer.

ciao
Christian