On Tuesday 19 of March 2013, Thomas Arnhold wrote:
On 19.03.2013 00:02, Norbert Thiebaud wrote:
otoh, #pragma once is supported by all the compiler we use isn't it ?
so if we are going to change it, why not use that instead.

There are some discussions about that on the Internet. Most interesting:
Some kind of benchmark comparison at

http://tinodidriksen.com/2011/08/31/cpp-include-speed/

Looks like header guards as we have them are the best solution on gcc,
but the worst for MSVC and no combination would be acceptable compared
to 'plain' header guard with gcc.

 That's so suspicious just from considering the idea that there could possibly
be any noticeable difference. I can't quite imagine how broken the
implementation of #pragma once would have to be to be slower than include
guards (and presumably they're both implemented the same way). I tried with
10000 include files with GCC and the difference, if any, is just lost in the
noise.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 l.lunak@suse.cz