In Excel, the default background colour seems to
be yellow, so let's do something similar here – I don't like yellow
per se, but Excel users are probably used to yellow, so no need to
break the functionality for them.
So, I'd propose to use either "Yellow" or "Chart 3" as the default.

I did some thinking (some, not a lot) on this matter.
It seems that the default colour for font and line colour buttons is
black and for background buttons (highlight excepted) is transparent.
That does not look usefull to me, is these are bound to be the
default
colours of font, line, background anyway.
Isn't it a better idea to set the default colours as a contrastong
colour (eg COL_RED for font/line and COL_YELLOW for background) so
that
users can 'mark' sections without choosing a colour?

To illustrate my suggestion, see attached diff file, which incidently
also shows why Astron and Ivan where confused by the gray colour in the
background button...
I will fix that with my next split button patch.

Winfried

This time with attachment...
Winfried