Astron wrote (08-03-2012 11:22)
To the uninitiated, this behaviour might seem very confusing (exactly
as it did to Ivan). In Excel, the default background colour seems to
be yellow, so let's do something similar here – I don't like yellow
per se, but Excel users are probably used to yellow, so no need to
break the functionality for them.
So, I'd propose to use either "Yellow" or "Chart 3" as the default.
Just let me know which initial colour you prefer and I will try to
implement it :)

In the interest of consistency and contrast... the best is probably to
use "Yellow."

Whilst working on the next button I encountered buttons like table background colour in writer.
These are not (yet) split button, but have a grey bitmap as default, with COL_TRANSPARENT as
default colour.
Apart from writer highlight colour, all background colour buttons I have seen so far in
LibreOffice, have COL_TRANSPARENT as default, with a gray bitmap.
I do not want to be irreverent, but does this not require some extra thought and/or advise from ux
(I think that is where the user side of LibreOffice is discussed, but it could be something else)?
Or could we consider using a checquered (gray/white) bitmap, like used in GIMP for transparent?

Winfried