Hi Pedro,

2011/1/16 Pedro Lino <pedlino@gmail.com>:
Hi Jesús

I'm afraid it's not fixed yet. I think the problem is that e.g. ODS is
associated with OOo's scalc as the default application and to LibO's
scalc
as an alternate program. These are not stored in the SAME registry Key.

Yes, should be this way: one as the default application and the other
one as alternate. The problem is that LibO should be the default and
it's only the alternate?

No that's ok. It just depends on the order it was installed. That is not an
issue.

For xls which is associated with MS Excel (on my system),  both OOo and
LibO
are alternate programs. Since there can be only one entry for scalc.exe
in
Open With there seems to be no way around this (at least for people who
are
still holding to MS Office, that is)

This is made on purpose on both OOo and LibO. I don't know why, but I
guess the reason behind it is to not "steal" the file associations of
MS Office because the users complained. If Office is not present in
your system, the behavior is the expected.

If this behavior has to be changed (no strong opinion) I would
consider it a different task, or at least a different patch.

This is not what I meant. You can make the files associated with LibO (there
is an option in the installer).

My point is: If a user has MS Office installed and wants to test an Open
Source office suite, he can't install both OpenOffice and LibreOffice
because since both have the same executable names, they can't be
simultaneously in "Open With" (for MS Office documents only). Since
OpenOffice is older, I think it is more likely that he was installed first
so LibO won't even have a chance (at least for users that open files instead
of opening an application and then opening a file)

I spent an hour installing, uninstalling and updating OOo and my
latest LibO build in a machine with MS Office and it works well for
me, I mean there are both LibO and OOo in the "Open With" menu in a MS
Office document. And you can update and uninstall them and everything
works as expected. I don't know why is not working for you :(

--
Jesús Corrius <jesus@softcatala.org>
Document Foundation founding member