First I don't think we need a default cause default is the standard
toolbars and all others aren't default arranged in a list.

If one should be preferred I go with tabbed toolbar cause the concept is
well known since 10 years and it scale pretty well. Groupedbar is for my
workflow better but I use a 24" uhdpi office screen on the 12" laptop I
would use tabbedbar or tabbed compact.

In the end the main question is how we guarantee that new features get
implemented in the different implementations.

Cheers
Andreas_k