Hi Kévin, all,

Am Dienstag, 26. Februar 2013, 14:09:46 schrieb Kévin PEIGNOT:
2013/2/26 Björn Balazs <bjoern.balazs@user-prompt.com>
Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013, 12:50:37 schrieb Kévin

Then, about the icon guidelines, As I sayed to Mirek, we

shouldn't

choose if we use Gnome ones, Elementary ones, Ubuntu
Ones

etc, but let

users choose that by a survey. Because if surveys are

useless for

ergonomy (user always choosing , for pure design it
helps to

know what

final user find sexy or not.

I would like to have Bjoern thoughts on this, so I CC
him.

Well then, here we go :) - and as Heiko correctly pointed
out,
we would be more than happy to support LO by any kind of
user-
based decision making.

What we can and should do: User test the quality of each
icon
we use in terms of understandability.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for me this is more about
ergonomy than
design, even if design count. It's the same thing than
knowing if a
clipboard is better than a glue tube for paste. Then, making
the glue
tube/clipboard glossy, flat, tango etc is pure design, and
doesn't change
its understandability.

Yes, in most cases. The usability of an icon is mostly defined
via the metaphor. The design might mess up the clarity of it
though ;) - and this is where we can improve a lot.

E.g. I do not understand how some people can still defend the
filing cabinet for save action. Data shows it simply is the
wrong (aka not-understandable) metaphor. This has nothing to
do with whether I or anyone else likes the icon or not... And
it will stay the wrong metaphor even if it is a flat icon ;)

But I am actually skeptical about making DESIGN decisions
based on surveys. At least I would not do it directly,
e.g. by
showing three kinds of design and asking 'Which do you
like
best?'. I guess indirect methods are superior here.

For this, we need to define our desired target groups
first.
Only then we can address anything concerning 'taste'.
Otherwise we will just get a random sample of users in any
survey (which is ok for questions like understandability
of
icons) - and with each survey we are in danger of getting
different subset of users. The result could be that we end
up
with a non-consistent design-language, because in one
survey
the purists 'won' while in another survey the majority
likes
it more 'playful'...

So what we can do, is trying to research who is using LO
for
which reasons, doing which tasks - and then trying to
identify
primary users (personas), for which we then can try to
find a
consistent and appealing design-language.

I agree, we need to define them, but I don't know how we can
do this.

We are happy to help / guide any group of volunteers trying to
do so - just we cannot make it ourselves - it simply is too
much work... Basically it will be (as most things) an
iterative process of gathering ideas and feedback...

Then
If I well understood what you mean by non-consitent design
language, you
think we would have an incoherent  icon set. I don't agree
with that,
because the survey would be done only once, just to decide
what design, and
finally what guidelines we should have for all our icons,
and all icons
would follow these ==> this will stay consistent.

Yeah - the icon set will be consistent - but we have to make
other design decisions, e.g. websites, banner, art within LO,
even definition of user experience flows in the software...
And all of these will not be answered with one survey. And if
we do multiple surveys with different end users, we might end
up in the mess of non-consistency...

Then, about identifying our users, as I sayed, I absolutely
do not know how
to do that, do you have some methodolgy/advices ? I'm not
sure knowing who
are our users will directly help us choosing design
language, but it will
tell us who are the users that we need to take more account
of the views in
a survey. Then, we do the survey about which guidelines they
prefer and we
ask them (indirectly) which type of user they are, and we
compare the
results with our known users. I think it's what you meant by
indirects
methods, am I wrong ?

Well there is not the ONE way of doing it. Most likely you
would want to create personas as artifacts representing the
different user groups.

You can derive decisions from these artifacts, by very
different means, e.g. introspection, surveys, discussions,...

Again, I am skeptical about doing a survey about issues of
likes and dislikes... Most promising in this context would
probably be to work with moodboards - but I would have to
think about it more...

Cheers,
Björn

Can you follow the thoughts?

Cheers,
Björn

--
Dipl.-Psych. Björn Balazs
Business Management & Research

User Prompt GmbH | Psychologic IT Expertise
Grünberger Str. 49, 10245 Berlin | www.user-prompt.com
HRB 142277 | AG Berlin Charlottenburg | Geschäftsführer
Björn
Balazs

All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived
and cannot be