Kévin PEIGNOT-3 wrote
Hy Heiko,

As I sayed, I changed my mind while color coding the icons, I don't
think any more it's such useful (also, if someone really think it's an
important thing, only user testing can help us).

Anyway, I think having more than one color in the icon palette is
important, monochrome would be wrong : LibO is a software with A LOT of
icons, and colors (no mater which ones) will help differentiate each of
them. It's not like a file explorer toolbar, with few icons, where it's
easily possible to choose monochrome. There are plenty of icons (useful
or not, it's another subject). So I'm really sure we should use colors.
I also think few icons could be color coded, as insert table in writer
should be green (the traditional color of tables (excel, calcs etc),
but that's a detail.

Then, about the icon guidelines, As I sayed to Mirek, we shouldn't
choose if we use Gnome ones, Elementary ones, Ubuntu Ones etc, but let
users choose that by a survey. Because if surveys are useless for
ergonomy (user always choosing , for pure design it helps to know what
final user find sexy or not.

I would like to have Bjoern thoughts on this, so I CC him.

Kévin

To anticipate Bjoern: we'd please to support you :-).
But what do you expect from a survey? Methodologically, one should draft a
hypothesis, find questions to reject (sic!) it, and give alternative
hypothesis the opportunity to promote.
If you ask users whether or not they like flat/gray icon design you will get
strange and less meaningful results.
If you run an icon test (as introduced by User Weave) gray icons will get
lower values - they are not known yet and "lack of" the color identifier.
For instance, we compared Gnome users to KDE users in our last study and
their preferences for icons of both set (actually we examined a set and
asked afterwards about OS). It's not what we discuss in detail but basically
Gnome users make advantage of Tango icons and KDE of Oxygen. Please treat
this as just my impression but statistical proved results.
Finally, you could let users compare sets. That's possible, but is this
really the question you ask?

Actually, my question was about the new set in respect to the disabled
state, i.e. when controls and icons are grayed out. Regardless from any
design aspect - that's your expertise - I wonder if pure gray is applicable
at all. You might convince me with the argument (and perhaps a picture) that
buttons/icons get a shadow in light gray which is well perceptible...