Issa, nice work. My first choice goes to the colored version. As additional argument, I was knowing that our brain is built to recognize the colors faster than the symbols and then symbols faster than text. If all the symbols have the same color, you need to decipher the meaning of few symbols to pick the one you want. So, ++ for colors from me.

You made the samples using the large version of icons and this is ok for now, but when creating the final icons, we must be sure they look very well at small size.

Emir, I agree with all your areas of concern and I think we'll resolve these step by step.

Kevin, it is a good idea to have color coded icons, but there is a catch: sometimes is better to create contrasts to highlight the significant element of an icon even if this requires to drop a rule you'd like to keep. For example, look at Spelling and Grammar / Auto Spellcheck icons. The only difference between them is that tiny underline. What if the first icon has the check mark gray? Maybe this is not the best example because here could be a better solution to differentiate, but the basic idea is this should be judged from case to case.

From my point of view, if everyone agree we need a colored version, I think our next step is to select the colors we want to use. The ones used in this mockup look somehow "sad" for my taste. What do you think? When this step is done, we should discuss the symbols that we think could be improved or we agree they have problems. (How do you think is easier to track the discussions around each icon? Should we create a new thread for any icon we want to analyze/debate? Or maybe is better to work in wiki pages to see together the icons, their history and the related comments?)

Axel