Mirek M. wrote (02-11-12 01:21)
On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Cor Nouws <oolst@nouenoff.nl> wrote:

I guess this may be useful in case one works with some combination of
remote desktop (eg thin client) and/or resolution.

Alright.
It doesn't seem to be vital to the software's usability, though, so I would
mark it "Advanced".

OK

  - E-mail client (why not just use the OS default?)

There may be more choices for different use?

Well, you can only choose a single client, so the OS default should do.
Are there any cases where the OS doesn't allow the user to set a default,
though? What does LibreOffice do then?

I know an example where people use another client to mail via LibreOffice then their regular client. ( Just one ... But I'm always careful to judge that something I do not recognise as useful, would not be so for others.
So really a lot of feed back would help :-) )

  - Locale setting (why would a person not want to use the system default
only in LibreOffice?)

In situations where you work with people from different countries /
locales etc.

This just sets the default -- you're still able to work on documents in
different languages.
The user probably shouldn't change the LibreOffice settings every time he
works on a document in a different language. (That would be especially
tricky if he has several documents open, one in his native language, one in
a foreign language, as these settings are global.)

Hmm yes.
So this suggests that it would be better to have people work in documents from templates with proper settings.
Still, I would prefer the judgement of people like e.g. Eike and Regina.

  - Decimal separator key (in which cases is the locale setting not
applicable?)

Same..

Same.

  - Default currency (in which cases is the locale setting not applicable?)
- Default languages "For the current document only" (why not use
"Tools>Language>For All Text"?)

I'm not sure, but maybe the difference it that setting it for the
document, makes styles behave as chosen, and that selecting and setting
language has to be done over and again?
On the other hand: the menu option is rather recent compared to the
Option..

Is it ok to remove the option, then, since we have the Tools entry?
(It would also mean we need to add CTL and Asian language to Tools.)

I do not feel the right person to judge, sorry

  - Are there any options that aren't necessary for Japanese or
for Complex Text Layout? None of us use these features, so we assume
they're there for a reason and thus agreed to keep them.

[1]
http://wiki.**documentfoundation.org/Design/**Analyses/Global_Options<http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Analyses/Global_Options>

Is it OK if I add some opinions on that page (again)?

Post them here. :)

will do.

--
 - Cor